entertainthekids.com

entertainthekids.com

11 May 2006

Bob the Builder

Kirsty was away on a press trip last week, with Luke my nephew, her friend Pauline and Ben, Pauline’s son, also 2. They all went to Butlins at Skegness to meet Bob the Builder and Wendy, Bob’s friend! And a very enjoyable time was had by all, from the comments I heard when they all arrived home safely.

So I am stepping into the breach and writing this week, Ross McGregor, Chief Information Officer for entertainthekids.com and Kirsty’s brother, as you’ve probably already guessed if you have been reading previous postings.

Kirsty kept her mobile switched on for the week and we needed it, as between us we must have spent quite a bit of time talking about forthcoming PR activities and dealing with various queries and minor problems that cropped up. And Kirsty thought she was going to get some downtime with her son!

Meanwhile, I was entering Days Out content into the administration back end of the site including some newly released circus dates.

At the same time I was also thinking I must go running or go to the gym, as I am taking part in the BUPA Great Manchester 10K run on the 21st May and the date is rapidly approaching when I will be running past Old Trafford and through the streets of Manchester. So in between entering content and dealing with phonecalls I managed to pound the tarmac for an hour or so three times during the week.

I was also confirming some prizes for our NEC Baby show stand where we have a superb competition running. This always helps to attract visitors to your stand, and hopefully it will encourage them to sign up to our monthly enewsletter or even join there and then.

There was a bit of a disappointment this week. We hoped we were going to be featured in the Sunday Times magazine as a case study, but unfortunately, right at the last minute, they backed out as they’d found another case study, who lived much closer to London and therefore they were easier and cheaper to interview. Such are the joys of living in the North! Don’t let anyone tell you the North-South divide doesn’t exist! The media are keeping it that way just by themselves.

As far as the company’s progress is going, I think we are in a really good position right now, and I am pleased with the growth we have achieved. Slow but steady is the way I would describe it so far. I think that has been a blessing as it has meant we can grow with the business, and learn along the way, without any unnecessary added pressure.

When we launched in March we had realistic predictions that the company would grow organically and not be an overnight success. The longer term ideal of steady growth allows us to readjust to the gradual changes required. This is necessary in terms of management controls, (such as board meetings, responsibilities/job specs, recruitment methods, team management), advertising (knowing where to advertise, how much to spend and what really works) and getting the best deals from suppliers. If you grew too fast, you’d probably be rushed into making the wrong decisions, wasting money and time and getting too stressed out about it. Who am I kidding? I’m sure I could cope if I had my yacht in the Med waiting for me at weekends!!

But when we look back at what we have achieved so far, I am very proud and it’s something we were only dreaming about this time last year.

I’ll hand back over to Kirsty next week, but this probably won’t be the last you’ve heard from me!

ross@entertainthekids.com

No comments: